Can we ever forget,
- Among the 10 sexy men in Bangalore
- His prose on Alfy's purple jeans
- The quiz on himself that Sanjoy could
- Singing 'Tu Bangali chokri' with Aliya
- His mouth-organ
- A fried egg with his dinner
- Mangoes - as much and any time
- Cooking eggs at midnight
- Making up 'mad scientist' stories
- Little children - the smaller the better
- Aliya brings home the first Olympic gold
- Have his own study place
- A silver jaguar
- Taking Shangon to Greece
- A family home at Lucknow
- "Ring ring", went the landline at Shangon's office. One
of the office girls answered, "Good morning, CDL." "Can
I speak to Shangon please," asked the strong male voice at the
other end. "Just one minute Sir." It was for the Boss. "Who
shall I say is calling?" asked the girl politely. "Mr. Shangon
here," answered Sanjoy, tongue-in-cheek.
- "Yes constable, give her a challaan," is what he told the
traffic police who flagged down his wife because she wasn't wearing
a helmet. "She never listens to me." Shangon stared in horror
at her Knight in shining armour who instead of protecting her in the
face of the law - promptly turned against her. And this notwithstanding
the fact that he had never ever asked her to wear a helmet!!!!
- "Why don't you tell your husband that you are going to be late
at work. I'll also tell my wife the same thing and then we can go for
a long drink in the evening," said Sanjoy winking at his wife Shangon.
They were sitting at 'Nandini' an extremely popular food chain lunch
time sharing a table with two young small town girls. The latter left
in a hurry not wanting to be part of this clandestine love affair of
- "Consented," a letter to Aliya's school teacher declaring
he had no objections to Aliya going on a school trip.
- When young Shujah had injured and fractured all his limbs in a series
of road accidents in his 12th year at school, Shangon blamed Sanjoy
for all this. She insisted that Sanjoy join her in making Shujah promise
that he would not drive again before he was licensed to. Sanjoy assured
her that they would sit down that evening and convince the child about
the importance of 'the right thing at the right time'. ""Come
out - on to the balcony. Now. All of you," said Sanjoy on the phone
to Shujah at about 7 that evening. We all ran out to watch Sanjoy drive
in on a spanking new 500CC bullet motorcycle! "My son needs confidence
now, not diffidence," he explained to Shangon late that night.
- "Jee madam, maal pahuch gaye. Ek sou tel ke dabhe la rahe
hain. Payment tayaar rakheye," was the start of a telephone
conversation with Ma. And Ma seldom recognized his voice, or even if
she did, she played along like a doting mother, just to humour her maverick
- "Hai Allah", was the Caller Id on his cell phone for Shangon's
call. She always wondered why?
- Mary Lou, Smarty Joe, and Lucky Finnigan. Three fictional characters
he came up with one night on a weekend family getaway. He was teaching
15 yr old Shujah and 10 yr old Aliya how to gamble. Shujah being the
older and wiser, was in on the secret, and the two of them play-acted
cardsharps from LasVegas, scamming poor innocent Mary Lou (a.k.a. Aliya),
by repeatedly dropping cards on the floor, thus distracting her and
switching her cards and cleaning her out completely of the 'dal danas'
they were betting with. Shangon, of course, stood on the balcony sulking,
refusing to be a part of the process of corrupting her young children.